Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Greenville Technical Charter High School



One of the schools where Fine Arts Center students return for their academic classes is the Greenville Technical Charter High School, located on the campus of the Greenville Technical College. Seventy percent of students dual-enroll in college classes, graduating from high school with up to an Associates Degree, tuition free. According to Principal, Fred Crawford, “There are many new and innovative ideas that are used to help students adjust to high school, plan for their futures, and allow for student and faculty growth.” Greenville Tech has received ‘Excellent’ ratings from the state of South Carolina, including a 98.9% graduation rate with 97.2% proficiency in South Carolina’s High School Assessment Program (HSAP). As a Coalition of Essential Schools member, Greenville Tech offers Mastery Learning, Common Planning, Senior Projects, Critical Friends Groups, and Family Advisories.

During the tour, a faculty advisor shared notes from a Senior Project journal where the student wrote, “To be honest, I am very proud of myself, and whether or not my grade reflects it; I have succeeded in my mind. It doesn’t matter any more what others think about how I act or uphold myself. I am my own person, and I am going to start living my life that way from now on. Senior project has changed my life, and I think it was definitely for the better!”

No comments:

Post a Comment